G6.4. The rotation of the Magnocraft (rotating torque)
© Dr. Eng. Jan Pająk

G6.4. The rotation of the Magnocraft (rotating torque)

The magnetic whirl, because of the action of the "Pająk Effect", causes a reaction torque "TR" to act on the Magnocraft during flight. This torque is an obvious consequence of the action of "magnetic transmission" discussed in subsection G6.3.1. It tries to rotate the vehicle in a direction opposite from the direction of rotation of the magnetic whirl - see Figure G23, similarly as the rotation of the main propeller in a helicopter tries to rotate the helicopter in an opposite direction. To prevent this, the vehicle must produce its own stabilization torque "Ts" which is to compensate for the torque "TR" and which keeps the vehicle’s position stable during flight (see Figure G13). In helicopters such a stabilization torque is achieved trough placing a small propeller at the end of their tails.
In the Magnocraft this stabilization torque "TS" is created by varying the output flux "A" and inclination angle "I" of the side propulsors located on the east (E) and west (W) sides of the vehicle. The values of these two parameters (i.e. "A" and "I") are chosen so that the vertical components "V" of the stabilization forces "A" created by the side propulsors are equal, means that VE = VW. This ensures the stability of the vertical orientation of the vehicle. At the same time, the horizontal components "H" of the forces created by these propulsors differ from one another, means HE > HW. The difference between these components from the east (E) and west (W) sides, multiplied by the radius "R" of the vehicle, produces the necessary stabilization (rotary) torque "TS", the value of which is expressed by the following equation:

TS = R(HE - HW)                    (G31)

(i.e. the stabilization (rotary) torque "TS" is equal to the difference ("HE" minus "HW") between the horizontal components of stabilization forces, multiplied by the radius "R = d/2" of the vehicle).
The value of torque "TS" is controlled by the logcomputer of the Magnocraft. To keep it at a required level, the propulsors located on the eastern (E) or/and western (W) sides of the Magnocraft, should usually have a much greater output than the output of the other side propulsors of this vehicle. During landings such a greater output will be indicated by additional markings left on the ground (see marks "TS" in Figure G13). Notice that such marks will be especially prominent in landings of flying clusters described in subsection G3.1.6.
The rotary torque makes it possible not only to fly the Magnocraft in a stable orientation, but also for the crew to control the rotation of the vehicle. Such rotation is utilized to orientate the pilot's seat in the direction of flight, to facilitate the crew's observation of the vehicle's surroundings, and to orientate the propulsors' outlets during a coupling manoeuvre. In free space, such controlled rotation could create an artificial gravity inside the crew cabin.

=> G6.5.
Antworten to top

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste